By: Maralee McKee
Here’s a collection of links to love from around the web. You’ll find Valetine’s Day centered posts and more. Enjoy!!!
What is The History of Valentine’s Day?
- Valentine’s Day history is anything but romantic. Different theories abound, but the most common ones contain pagen rituals and, yikes, decapatation. Here, from NPR, is the dark histroy of the origins of our modern Valentine’s Day.
Who was St. Valentine, and Why Was He Martyred?
- There are actually two priests named Valentine that were martyred by the same Roman emporer. Both are tied to our celebration of love. This priest stayed true to his convictions and contrary to the orders of the emporer he refused to stop performing marriage cermonies.
How Did Valentine’s Day Get Known for Love?
- The idea that Valentine’s Day is for celebrating love is believed to have originated in this epic 699 line poem by Geoffrey Chaucer, The Parliment of Fowls. It contains one of the first mentions of St. Valentine in connection with love in English literature. Written in 1381-1382, the poem centers around a dream vision where a Mother Nature type figure oversees a flock of birds choosing their mates.
How to Decorate Your Table for Valentine’s Day
- Because we eat first with our eyes, no matter what’s on the menu at your house for Valentine’s dinner, having a beautifully set table will make the food taste all the more delicious. Here’s beautiful table decor inspiration featuring 20 tables decorated for Valentine’s from Jane at Home. You’ll find everything from flower ladden tables to one decorated with pieces from a Scrabble game. All of them lovely!
Interesting Finds from Around the Web
- A school poster in England for parents to please teach their children manners at home went viral.
- Most of us read far more on a screen than on a printed page. But do our brains have a preference for reading on paper over screens? And does reading on one or the other offer any advantages when it comes to learning and retaining what we read? Scientific American thinks so, and they share what they know in this post: “The Science of Paper Versus Screens.”
Valentine’s Day Post and More From the Blog
All my best,