By: Maralee McKee, Manners Mentor
Welcome to this week’s roundup of interesting, helpful, inspiring links that I love and hope you will too. They represent some of the best from the world of manners and more specially curated for you!
- 17 things Uber and Lyft drivers want us to know before we book our next ride. Do you ever use Uber or Lyft, or are you considering it? If so, this is an insightful list of brief etiquette points drivers have come up with which will make rides more pleasant for everyone. I love these services! And because panic attacks OFTEN keep me from driving, Uber has become a lifeline to the outside world for me. PS: When they began, tipping wasn’t allowed. Now it is. And I understand why. Many (most) drivers make less than minimum wage after sharing the fare with the Uber or Lyft company and factoring in the cost of gas, wear-and-tear on their car, and amount of idle time before picking up their next fare.
- Why are the words fall and autumn seemingly used interchangeably, and which one is correct? I’ve always wondered why this season has two names and whether one was officially the correct term. It turns out to be an interesting story!
- Fun games and other resources to help explain the electoral process to our children. The other day Corbett asked me a question about the presidential election. When I tried to explain to him that the next president is determined by the “Electoral College” and is not necessarily the candidate who receives the most individual votes, he looked at me in wide-eyed disbelief and confusion. Fortunately, former gifted and special ed teacher Shannon at www.technologyrocksseriously.com has gathered up a host of high-quality resources and game links in one handy-dandy post. Thank you, Shannon!
- 20 cleaning hacks that are game changers. Some of these hacks I knew, and so will you; however, others I didn’t, and they’re amazing! Number eight is my favorite. I’ve bought every lint picker-upper they sell in stores to try to keep up with the cat hair that our one itty-bitty short-haired cat leaves on our furniture. Nothing works like the magic of number eight. I was so amazed, I waited to finish until Kent came home so he could witness it. He got so excited that he asked to take over. He finished every piece of upholstered furniture in the living room and family room! Number 17 also works perfectly. And I’m excited to try numbers 13 and 16 as soon as I buy some walnuts and vodka. Yes, walnuts and vodka. There’s an excellent video that goes along with this post that covers seven of the cleaning hacks.
- Style Steals! 9/19-9/20/19: Two days only! Thursday and Friday, September 19 and 20, 2019! Your choice of five different “BE-utiful” ladies cut t-shirts only $16.95 each + FREE SHIPPING with code BEGRAPHIC5 (Save 40%!)
I wanted to share this amazing deal with you! These five tee-shirts are usually $29.95 each. For two days only, you’ll save 40 percent.
They’re on sale for only $16.95 each.
Plus, you get FREE SHIPPING when you type in code BEGRAPHIC5 at checkout!
Care to guess which one I bought?! If you chose “Be Kind Always,” you’re correct! I’m so looking forward to wearing it!
The Holidays Come Earlier Every Year!
From the Blog — Posts I’m Surprised People Are Reading Now!
Usually, in late November and all through December, more than 10,000 people a week will read each of these posts. This week I was surprised to see that hundreds of people were already reading them. One of the articles is Thanksgiving-related and the other two share Christmas etiquette.
- How to Say Grace Amazingly Well This Thanksgiving and Always!
- The Complete Guide to Christmas Card Manners
- How to Choose and Give the Perfect Hostess Gift
So with that, may I be the first to wish you a blessed Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas! 😉
Blessings on your week ahead,